Sunday, March 16, 2014

Why?

Welcome to The Full Court Press!  You may be thinking "Oh great, another blog.  Dave, what possessed you to do this now?"  Great question.  The answer: shameless self promotion and venting.

I get a lot of random thoughts.  My poor wife has to listen to endless monologues and soliloquies of my ranting about everything from why the Steelers are so frustrating, how annoying it is that it takes forever for that light to change on Parkwood Blvd., or how unprofessional it is that Dunkin Donuts applies my free drink coupon to the coffee instead of the latte.  I need an outlet, and I don't care who listens. Even if my wife is the only one who ever reads this blog, I'll be happy knowing I got it off my chest.

"Ok, Dave, what are you going to enlighten us about?"  Man, you are rolling with the good questions today!  In general, it will be a cornucopia of random thoughts.  However, more specific will be: theology/culture, sports, or something I find hilarious like this:




It's going to be a wild roller coaster ride (I say that now, but it will probably end up more like the trolley in the parking lot of the amusement park).  I tend to be conservative about what I put on social networks like Facebook, Twitter, etc.  I'm sure we've all seen posts 3 paragraphs long about how "person I won't name is such a jerk," or posts with 40+ comments debating the merits of Republican vs. Democrat (they're both awful).  Rather than subject everyone I know to all my knee-jerk reactions of life (many people I know couldn't care less what I think about ESPN's SEC bias), I'll just put all my thoughts here.  And in case you can't tell, I'm verbose.  If you've ever received an email, text or rare Facebook message from me, you'll know brevity is not my strength.  Here, I'm not constrained by Twitter's 140-character limit.  I'll probably put a link on Facebook and Twitter to my most recent posts, but fear not, you do have a choice:


Take the blue pill, and this can be your first and last experience of The Full Court Press.  When it shows up on your timeline - just keep scrolling.  Take the red pill, and you keep reading.  Get ready for a "Full Court Press" of thoughts and opinions.  Hopefully some will make you think.  Hopefully, it can spark civil conversation.  And maybe, you just might get a chuckle, even a couple of yuks.

I've had the blog idea on my mind for a while - i.e. I've formulated some blog posts in my head the last few weeks as a reaction to current events, but I've had nowhere to put them.  So, as time permits in the next few weeks (I work for a minor league baseball time, and opening day is 2 weeks away), I'll trickle some thoughts that might be a little dated.  But I promise I'll do my best to keep them somewhat relevant.  In the mean time, here's a preview:

  • The American Fairy Tale:  I have a confession - I watched the majority of the most recent season of The Bachelor.  My wife and I boo-ed and hissed along with the rest of America at Juan Pablo.  I found most of the individuals on the program to be shallow and naïve.  I can't get over the audacity of ABC to think they can script one of the most unpredictable human emotions - love.  And in the midst of the insanity, I couldn't help but see an ironic twist: The Bachelor highlights many of the truths of the Bible's book on romance, the Song of Solomon.
  • March Maddening: At the writing of this post, we are wrapping up conference championship week in college basketball.  This is the first half of what makes March so exciting for hoops fans.  At the same time, this might be one of the worst things about college basketball.  Is it time we start thinking about trading the excitement of conference championships for a less-diluted pool of talent in the NCAA tournament?  Do I really want to see a 16-16 Mount St. Mary's play for a shot at the national championship? (spoiler alert: no)
  • Better than Fallon: I'm in an overwhelming minority of Americans - people who don't think Jimmy Fallon is funny.  Well, he can make me laugh from time to time, but I hardly think that merits the holy grail of late-night television.  Most of America disagrees.  But remember, this is MY blog, so I'm going to give my alternatives for who I think could do a better job and why.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment